Our Veterans

Honoring our Fallen Military Service Men & Women and Veterans

Military Funeral Honors

The basic Military Funeral Honors (MFH) ceremony includes the folding and presentation of the United States flag to the veterans' family and the playing of Taps. The ceremony is performed by a funeral honors detail consisting of at least two members of the Armed Forces.

The Funeral Honors rendered will be determined by the veteran's status, ranging from Full Military Honors to a Standard Honors Team Detail. At least one of the funeral honors details will be from the Armed Force in which the deceased veteran served.

Frequent Questions

Who is eligible for Military Funeral Honors?
Military members on active duty or in the Selected Reserve.
Former military members with honorable discharge or service under conditions other than dishonorable.
Former military members discharged from the Selected Reserve due to a disability incurred or aggravated in the line of duty.

Who is not eligible for Military Funeral Honors?
Anyone separated under dishonorable conditions.
Individuals ordered to report to an induction station but not inducted.
Persons discharged from the Selected Reserve prior to completing one term for reasons other than disability.
Individuals convicted of a Federal or State capital crime sentenced to death or life imprisonment.

How to establish veteran eligibility?
Preferred method: DD Form 214, Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty. If unavailable, any discharge document showing honorable service can be used. The DD Form 214 may be obtained by filling out a Standard Form 180 and sending it to:
National Personnel Records Center (NPRC)
9700 Page Blvd.
St. Louis, MO 63132
Standard Form 180

Who is Eligible to Receive the Burial Flag?
A United States flag is provided at no cost to drape the casket or accompany the urn of a deceased veteran who served honorably. VA will furnish a burial flag for memorialization for:

 - Veterans who served during wartime.
 - Veterans who died on active duty after May 27, 1941.
 - Veterans who served after January 31, 1955.
 - Peacetime veterans discharged before June 27, 1950.
 - Certain persons who served in the organized military forces of the Commonwealth of the Philippines after April 25, 1951.
 - Certain former members of the Selected Reserves.

How Can You Apply?
Apply for the flag by completing VA Form 27-2008, Application for United States Flag for Burial Purposes. Obtain the form at any VA regional office or U.S. Post Office. The funeral director can assist in obtaining the flag.

Can a Burial Flag Be Replaced?
The law allows issuance of one flag for a veteran's funeral, and it cannot be replaced if lost, destroyed, or stolen. Veterans' organizations or community groups may assist in obtaining another flag.

How Should the Burial Flag Be Displayed?
Display the flag according to VA Form 27-2008, which provides the correct method for open or closed caskets. The burial flag is not suitable for outside display due to its size and fabric.

Additional Resources
For detailed information about honoring service members and military funerals, visit:
U.S. Department of Veterans AffairsVeterans' Funeral and Burial Benefits